In my last post I talked about how I made a enjoyable little display of fireworks for the terminal. It was fun to make and it’s fun to watch when meetings get boring (always). Fireworks can be found here. However after running my fireworks for a while, I started noticing some funky details. The fireworks could be a little flickery at times. And not in a good way. Well we couldn’t have that!
Recently I embarked on a fun little side project. There have been just too many rampant fireworks going on outside and I was feeling a little left out, so I decided to make some of my own. Given I have no experience with anything like OpenGL at all, and was feeling like learning termion since I consistently use tui with a termion backend and only sort of understand how it works, I decided terminal fireworks would be the way to go.
I had a whole lot of fun with the Typeracer post I made showing how the program itself had changed throughout its lifetime. What I didn’t mention (although is fairly obvious if you look at the code) is that Typeracer was my first real exposure to Rust. I went through a bit of the rust book and wrote a tiny compression tool that did a sort of run length encoding algorithm, but both of them were super simple and I really wanted something I could work on for longer to understand the language.
Hey folks. I’m Darrien Glasser, the main dev on the Typeracer project. The project has been going for almost a year and has been through some significant changes while doing its best to keep the core idea intact. Typeracer is a terminal typing game where the goal is to type out a bit of text from a passage as fast as you can. Recently we cut the 2.0.0 branch off and released it to the general public, and today we’re going to take a quick at where it started and how it has progressed over time.